Thursday, June 01, 2006

Look Back and Shudder: Election 2004

There's good news and bad news from Robert Kennedy Jr.'s long article, "Was the 2004 Election Stolen?" in Rolling Stone magazine. The bad news is that the piece makes a very compelling case that the presidential election of 2004 was rigged, specifically in Ohio. Sure, it's galling when you hear President Bush talk endlessly about spreading democracy to the world, when in fact, he could represent the end of it here. If the voting itself wasn't enough proof, just consider the seizure of power to ignore laws enacted by Congress, who at one point were considered the elected representatives of the American People. The democratic system itself is under incredible assault, and, at first, the conclusions seemed to be an endgame. It appeared that a small powerful group of rich right-wingers could raise enough money to persuade the voting public of almost anything, given a compliant media, and the power of television. We could be living in a telemarketing age when any message - no matter how incorrect - can be drummed into the public's collective head. That would mean democracy would fall victim to modern technology. The good news in this article is that the majority of the American People in places like Ohio, were not duped; they were ripped off. Sure, the implications are scary, but at least it now appears that it took a major crime to give us the Bush administration. These days, that's quite a relief.


Rolling Stone : Was the 2004 Election Stolen?

6 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't read it, Bill. I just can't do it. I skimmed the first two paragraphs and I can't take it. It's been over 18 months and it's still too painful to revisit. "Look back and shudder" is right.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

That's okay, Ellie. There is no assigned reading on the Portland Freelancer.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I couldn't figure out why Ellie's comment affected me so much. Then I realized why. "I can't read it, Bill. I just can't take it. I skimmed the first two paragraphs and I can't take it" was the exact same words my editor at the Trib used to say when I sent in a column.

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it.

There is no call for the question mark in the title. RFK, Jr., never once questions or doubts the clear and convicting evidence.

Repulicans committed felonies to keep Dubja in his Evil Office in the GOP Fright House.

We are responsible to do our duty to order him under citizen's arrest, and the force we are empowered to so order is our Representative(s) seated in the people's House, in congress.

If those seated do not immediately obey our order -- Blumenauer f'rinstance -- then our responsible duty is to unseat them with our ballots.

Plan Of Action, presented Freelancer.
Read it. Relay it.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home