Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Civil War In Iraq

In case you haven’t viewed the strife in Iraq as a civil war before now, you can start the clock – By blowing up the mosque this thing is officially on.
Our troops are now caught between warring factions as this shattered country is locked in a death struggle between religious sects. The four permanent bases we are building there may be all the territory we really wanted to begin with, but you have to ask yourself why our brain trust in the White House left so many of our young people to ride around in a civil war?
Time for another one of those speeches about the hard work of democracy, followed by another vacation back in Crawford. By the way, in case you don’t think the President realizes what he’s done here, relax, he knows all too well about the pain of an injury. Here's what he told some amputation patients earlier this year: "As you can possibly see, I have an injury myself — not here at the hospital, but in combat with a cedar. I eventually won. The cedar gave me a little scratch. As a matter of fact, the Colonel asked if I needed first aid when she first saw me. I was able to avoid any major surgical operations here, but thanks for your compassion, Colonel." —George W. Bush, after visiting with wounded veterans from the Amputee Care Center of Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Jan. 1, 2006

4 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jack Bog said...

It's like being in a bar and a fight breaks out. The one thing you never, ever do is step in and try to break it up. Both sides will kick your a*s first before trurning back on each other.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Don't I know it. I once was sitting at the last barstool by the door and this heated argument erupted. The one guy made a dramatic exit and paused near me at the door, turned around and said to the other guy, "Tonight you swim with the fishes." I said, "Excuse me but that's an old Mafia phrase. It's "Tonight you sleep with the fishes."' At this point he slugged me right in the nose and left. I saw stars and felt my nose which wasn't broken. Everyone had a good laugh and we started drinking again. I made a mental note not to get involved, even if one side was ruining a great phrase.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger rickyragg said...

Jack,

I'm curious as to how you acquired this nugget of bar wisdom.

Experience is the best teacher, no?

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This line of commentary reminds me of one of my favorite metaphors. Imagine how things would work for you on the street if you interacted with dangerous-looking people using Bush pre-emptive strike doctrine. Bush would tell everyone on the block "I'll kick anyone's ass who so much as glares at me". Everyone else would try not to provoke potential adversaries, since it increases the likelihood of being attacked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home