Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Forget Going To Hollywood; Hollywood's Coming To Me

All the signs are there, folks. I cleaned the house the last couple of days and this morning I woke up at 5a.m. It’s script time again. The only one I ever really made any cash from was written in 8 days, after thinking about it for months. I’ve got another so I’m about to drift away from the bonds of earth and go into the writing zone. If you are a young person, do not base anything you feel about writing on what you learned in school. Okay, let me rephrase that. Once you get away from the academic world for a while, writing can be a lot of fun. It is the ultimate escape, because you create another world that you can live in for a few weeks. I have heard writers talk about missing their characters like they were old friends, and I thought it was a load of crap. Guess what? It’s true and I can’t wait to hook up with the new cast. This is the first time I’ve tried one during the blog era, and I’m going to keep that up, too. My Hollywood producer connection is actually coming to town for a couple of events, and I can tell he’s cooled off again on my scripts – at least the idea of a major studio going for them. He wants to make one himself for a small budget. I told him not to give up on the main dream because I am going to bang out another finished product before he gets here, and this one eliminates all the problems we’ve had up till now. So it’s 6:34 a.m. and I’ve got to get back to work. He gets here in just over two weeks, so this better be funny, and quick, but I can do that. I also can process failure with the best of them. One of the musicians in the band called last night to see how I was getting over the Aerial Tram Awards fiasco. For a second I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. That was so last week. The main thing about being a freelancer is to be able to do a lot of work for no reward, and yet return with complete optimism.
There’s going to be something in this for you, too. In the weeks ahead, I will finally reveal the producer, and the big-time director who called my title the best he ever heard. I will roll out all the anecdotes, partly because I want to help publicize my producer’s events here in town. Last week I couldn’t fill a pizza parlor; this month I’m going to try filling one of the more famous theaters in Portland. It’s called optimism, baby. Oh, here’s a clue for the blog entries to come: The director’s initials are J.R. and this has been your blog tease. And the studio my producer’s wife works at as a vice president starts with a U. Now back to the fun part – banging out a comedy script in two weeks.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO for it...........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home