Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Oregonian's Not to Blame This Time

I'll be the first to admit that I've been very critical of the Oregonian lately. What set me off was the David Reinhard column called, "On the Ground in Bagdhad: How Goes the Battle?" Call me a stickler for accuracy, but if you're going to call a column, "On the Ground in Bagdhad", the columnist should be on the ground in Bagdhad - not manning a desk in Portland, protecting our country's paperclip supply from attack. That does not mean I bear ill will towards the Oregonian – a paper I’ve read nearly everyday of my adult life. I try to look at these things on a case by case basis, judging each with an understanding heart.
This brings me to one of the corrections in today’s paper: “Stephen F. Austin State University is in Nacogdoches, Texas. The city's name was misspelled Saturday in a Metro story about finalists for the Southern Oregon University presidency.”
I want to state for the record that I was in no way offended by the misspelling of Nacogdoches, and that in no way did it detract from my enjoyment of the Metro section on that fateful day. Furthermore, I do not anticipate any lasting effects of this error going forward. I’ll even go one better: If the paper wishes to drop this matter without further investigation, I will not cry cover-up. I will simply let it go. If, however, the editors feel more must be done to correct this, I will gladly buy the paper that day and read all about it. In fact, I am looking forward to a column by David Reinhard called “On the Ground in Nacogdoches.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home