Sunday, March 04, 2007

You Have to Laugh: Cosmic Joke Played on Portland Freelancer

After questioning the Blazers choice of LaMarcus Aldridge over Adam Morrison, I decided to buy a ticket to the Charlotte game last Thursday, with the hope that I could see with my own eyes, what my television has been telling me.

This is not to say I'm one of those obnoxious fans who use pro sports to validate their lives. Incidentally, one of those people was yelling near me in a row of seats close enough for the players to hear. He seemed to be a beady-eyed psycho-loner type, and during quiet moments he would yell out personal attacks like, "Derek Anderson, I thought you retired" or "I want my money back." Finally he went right after the Charlotte coach yelling, "Bernie, when are you going to bring a real team in here?" I could see the Bobcats coach wince.

So not only was my team pummeled but I had this attention-starved maniac yelling out how much my designated heroes sucked.

Not a problem. At least my point about the draft pick would be proven once and for all, right? Adam would shine and LaMarcus would be just okay. Wrong! Adam didn't seem that into it, finishing with 12 points, mostly scored in the second half, when the game was a blow-out. LaMarcus? He had the best game of his entire life. The one night I went and this guy lights it up for 30 points in 3 quarters.

This is when I began thinking a cosmic joke was underway, and it was on me. I had to admire the comedic aspects. I even enjoyed the psycho fan for his sheer commitment to being a jerk.

Fast forward to last night, where I watched the Blazers again back in their old familiar setting on my TV. Why bother? Partly because after what I had seen in person, I am now a LaMarcus Aldridge fan. So how did he do last night? 1 for 12 with 1 of 2 from the foul line for 3 points.

Tonight the Bobcats play in Seattle. If Adam Morrison goes off or even comes close to having a great game, I will know for sure: This cosmic joke was on me.

3 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If LaMarcus can't even his game out pretty soon, the joke will be on the Blazers.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What this story says to me is that LaMarcus ought to buy you season tickets.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger LaurelhurstDad said...

Maybe your blog will help me find an answer to a question that has bothered me for many years.

As a native Portlander, I find no interest in a 'team' that has no roots in Portland. Why should I pay attention to them (other to laugh at their run-ins with the law)?

The only thing the Jail Blazers do to me is cost me money.

A serious question to those who care about them:

WHY? What do they give back to you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home