Wednesday, June 21, 2006

World Population to Tilt Urban

How big is the world's population? I bet many of you would still say 6 billion, but we passed that a while back. We're at 6.5 billion. In fact, according to Scientific American, we're gaining people at the rate of around 1 billion every 14 years. Ever since I read that, I've kept an eye out for population stories. By the way, the article said we're going to grow at roughly this rate, till we hit 9 billion - barring some sort of correction - and when we get to 9 billion we will stop growing. They seemed okay with it, but I sense potential drama here. This is a matter of grave concern. It's very easy to bemoan the changes we see in Portland, and everywhere else, but how the hell does the world add a billion new people every 14 years without it showing up somewhere? Especially if you live in a nice place? Another key stat is that the world population doubled from 1950 to 2000. Doubled! So here's the latest population article. It's about the tilt towards urban living over rural. Read it with a friend. BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | The challenges facing an urban world

4 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger JustaDog said...

Why do liberals always try and create racial issues where none exists?

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of question is that? Where's the racism?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I think that comment was for the post below. If it was directed at me, I know it's wrong. As I said in the Post I find it fascinating to see how newspapers write about Portland. So I'm going to guess it was aimed at the Washington Post.

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the ripe old age of 15 (1966), I saw that population was the biggest problem of all. It's why I chose not to have children.

Anybody with either half of their brain can easily see that geometrically increasing population coupled with geometrically increasing demand of fixed resources leads to a day of reckoning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home