Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hacks and Flacks Gig a Success

I believe the children are our future, which is one reason we're in such big trouble right now. No, seriously, the Portland Schools Foundation does a good thing here with this annual Roast. My review on the line-up:
1. Betsy Johnson - Solid Gold. Get her her own reality show now.
2. The Wolf DJs: Amy and the other Wolf DJ. You can't beat the professional radio delivery. Is it just me or does Amy have a super sexy voice?
3. Ted Wheeler: So genuinely dorky that he crossed into charm. I loved it when he said, "I'm not funny and as it turns out, neither is my staff." Or something like that.
4. Mark and Dave: Mark is a pro announcer and radio DJ, and I like him. He has a human decency factor that is very comforting. Dave Anderson? The best standup comedian from Portland, Oregon.
No contest. Okay, my buddy Dwight Slade's in the mix, too. I talked to Dave last night and he seems so much more relaxed and happy than when I first met him. I have seen him open for Dennis Miller at the Schnitz, and just crush. He's a national monster talent.
5. Greg Walden: He got screwed so hard by the audio-visual guy that it was actually quite endearing.
6. Jack Ohman. I've appeared on a radio show with him, and we used to exchange emails about getting together for coffee. I wish I had followed through more. He was...I know it hasn't been smooth sailing the last few years. He made one reference to his personal life from the podium, so I'm not....I was saddened by his life force tonight, and I hope he becomes more joyful somewhere down the road. He is an Oregon treasure and one hell of a cartoonist.
7. The MC was Gordon Smith's chief of staff and I thought he brought the energy but he also brought some lame. It's hard to criticize anyone though as this was for the kids, and they are our future.

5 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am "that audio-visual guy" and would like to defend myself. The "morph video" was tested several times before the event, and when it went to play to the screen it didn't. Technology can foil even the best laid plans.

It really is too bad, the morph was funny, however the hottub pic was the real punchline.

I agree fully that Betsy was hilarious. If she decieds to retire from politics she has a career in comedy.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

The hottub pic didn't come on in a timely manner, but yes, it did eventually show up. But, hey, the machines are not always our friend. Everyone knows that.
The real punchline was how screwed up it was, and that's okay. Comedy takes many forms.
How did Greg Walden react afterwards?

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to pry, but what's the story with the past year in the life of Jack Ohman?

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohman?:
was curious about that too (again, if not prying).

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

His comment from the podium referred to writing a check to an ex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home