Thursday, January 26, 2006

Hillary On Broadway

She’s back. At least she’s scheduled to return Friday to the same Hilton hotel in downtown Portland that she visited sans Bill early in the first term of the Clinton administration. Remember back then, when she was pushing for healthcare reform in some kind of bus caravan? The effort was seen as an overreach and a colossal failure, but at least she realized how big the issue was going to be. Right now, healthcare costs are playing a significant role in the dismantling of the U.S. auto industry, and I bet many CEOs would gladly settle for a national program. Healthcare costs GM around $1500 per car, and it just keeps going up. I’ve heard that most of it is technological advances, but I don’t trust that assessment. In medical terms, I think we’re getting probed here. More and more Americans have good health care coverage, as long as they remain in good health, but if they get sick, why, that’s another story.
So how healthy are Hillary’s chances in 2008? If you ask me Geena Davis will be President before Hillary, but politics is one area I’m not good at predicting. My rule is always to expect the American people to pick the one who looks most like he or she could play the part on TV. And I don’t mean some highbrow TV show like West Wing, either. If you look like you could play the visiting senator or president on an episode of Dukes of Hazzard, why, then I believe most times you’re going to win. By the way, I had this theory long before George Bush came along, but tell me he doesn’t look perfect if you were casting for a President on Dukes of Hazzard? I mean it’s too good.
Going by this rule, Hillary doesn’t stand a chance. She’s tough, she’s smart, and she has an amazing life force. Of course, she’s got more baggage than a sinking ocean liner, but that’s not a deal breaker. Let’s just say as TV presidents go, she’s no Geena Davis. They might have welcomed Bill, but there’s no way Hillary would show up on Dukes of Hazzard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home