Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Speech: Hindsight? Second Guessing? You're Kidding, Right?

"Hindsight alone is not wisdom," President Bush said. "And second-guessing is not a strategy." He had that earnest look – that look of pride. He had been horrendously, catastrophically wrong, but that didn’t matter now. It was the reaction to him being wrong that was really wrong. I guess we were supposed to give this group a free pass on going to war for the wrong reasons. Not a free pass - make that a Freedom Pass. Maybe even hand out some more Medals of Freedom to the team who pulled it off. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the 2006 Reason we went to war. We weren’t protecting the United States from a threat. No, Freedom was on the march and it just happened to march us into Iraq. Hey, that would mean if you’re against this war you’re against Freedom.
I agree that hindsight alone is not wisdom. It helps to combine it with foresight - which a lot of us had before this Iraq debacle even started. In fact, I didn’t need to second guess President Bush. I didn’t need to first guess him. I knew this was a mistake from the moment I heard about it.
So, by the way, did Colin Powell, and the President’s own father.
This isn’t a question of losing my resolve. I still have it, but it’s to try and stop these immature, incompetent, power-crazy clowns from doing anything more stupid than Iraq in the last three years before life starts anew when they leave.
It’s always good to hear that Freedom is on the march. Too bad the parade seems to be heading the other way. I certainly don’t feel freer now than I used to - especially knowing the unlimited powers this President thinks he has over us. I’m sure the people that we tortured didn’t feel all that free either.
There’s an image for you: Detainees being tortured to death in the name of the United States of America. It’ll take more than a feel-good speech to make me forget about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home