Friday, April 07, 2006

Songs Along the Way - "Key to the Highway" by Big Bill Broonzy


I was talking to Charlie about the old band days and we reminisced about a blues song called “Key to the Highway.” The song was by Big Bill Broonzy, Born William Lee Conley Broonzy, June 26, 1893 Scott, MS. Died August 15, 1958 Chicago, IL.
He played at the landmark Carnegie Hall performance put on by John Hammond in 1938, called “From Spirituals to Swing”, replacing Robert Johnson, who died prior to the gig. I found this great picture of him and was knocked out by the guitar.

2 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, looking up the lyrics produced several different versions. I'm guessing these are probably pretty close:

Key To The Highway (Broonzy - Segar)


I've got the key to the highway
Yes I'm billed out and bound to go
I'm gonna leave here runnin'
'Cause walking's just too slow

I'm going back to the border
Where I'm better known
'Cause you haven't done nothin'
But broke up our happy home

Now give me one more kiss baby
Yes before I go
'Cause when I leave here this time baby
I 'clare I won't be back no more

So long, goodbye
Yes I have to say goodbye
'Cause I'm gonna walk, walk this old highway
Until the day I die

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I also like "I'm going to leave this town running, 'cause walking's much too slow."

Gorok - If the party happens on the 25th, I hope you can make it. I'm trying to get Shibley there, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home