Sunday, October 29, 2006

Get Me Steve Jobs on the Phone....Now!

I've got a bad feeling about this one. My Apple computer has been shutting off unexpectedly. It combined with a weird publishing problem on the blog today to give the overall feeling of the wheels coming off this operation. I never used to do so much on the computer before I had high-speed. I felt if you're using a computer to make a living, you shouldn't be wearing it out doing the irrelevant things like....well, like this. So now I've got Jay returning to the airwaves, the radio network expecting good things after giving me some time off, and the election coming up, and my computer is headed for the shop. Oh well, I always believed in redundancy. I've got a little laptop that I can do work on, but it's not the same. I've also paid for two email accounts all this time in case one goes down. Plus I can send things over cable or the phone, so that works. There was a time when I didn't have the cable high-speed and a couple of mornings I ended up going to Kinko's at 5 a.m. to use a local phone line when mine crashed.

You know it'll be 10 years this December that I've written for the radio. In that time I've missed maybe 2 days due to technical meltdowns. I've asked for maybe 8 days off the whole time. I missed sending Leno something maybe twice since 1993. Yup, it's official. I'm a working class hero. I hate to think of how many jokes that is but it's over 100 thousand. Yikes, how long till my brain starts unexpectedly shutting off as well? The blog thing has been a lot of fun, and beneficial for the head, but here I am past 1 in the morning and I probably shouldn't be running this machine. This is the part where something minor turns into a complete meltdown. Oh well. I'll probably try to do some stuff from the laptop but every now and then you have to be responsible, and I'm afraid this is one of those times. See you down the road.

I got through to Apple support and this sounds like a capacitor problem in the logic board which was my first quess - NOT! I'm still covered through Feb of 2008 by the maintenance plan so all is well. Oh, and I can still use it without hurting it any worse. The shutdowns will just occur more and more frequently till one day it won't work at all - kind of like what I'm experiencing with my brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home