Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Night for the Ages

Last night, America self-corrected, and the Forefathers smiled. Checks and balances returned to government and the country lurched back on track. I watched several leading Democrats - like James Carville - act humble in victory, and I'm going to take my cue from them. We are in a dangerous time still because a certain spoiled brat on a bicycle just found out he's not king after all. President Bush is in a bad, pouty mood and we've got to take him through this gingerly. He could still end the world with one press of the button, so I hope the appropriate people are monitoring his mental state. I would recommend extra ice cream - anything to help him get through these next few days.

The purse strings for the Iraq War are now out of the hands of the Republicans. One of the most annoying things was having them ask what to do in Iraq? It's a hell of a mess, and a lot of young Americans have been killed and wounded. Last night showed they didn't die or lose their limbs in vain. How's that? Because they didn't die representing a lost America - an America hijacked by the Neo-Cons and given over to authoritarian rule. Last night made it clear that the system of government these soldiers represented is still the best on earth. They died for the good America, because something in this whole ordeal has strengthened our system. This was a huge test and the American People passed. Last night the American People said, "Yes, Iraq is a huge mess and you're going to pay for getting us into it."

It was not all rosy, and we've got to snap back into the groove immediately. I don't want to write jokes today, but I have to. On a personal level, I was disappointed that I didn't get my "Liberty Sluts" song finished in time for this but my computer crashed 8 days ago and I just got it back yesterday afternoon. I am proud of the hundreds of anti-Bush jokes I put out there the last few years. The night before the election it was, "President Bush says that Cheney and Rumsfeld are doing a terrific job and they're going to stay till the end of his term. I don't know what they have on him, but it must be good."

I've always felt these jokes on Leno had impact. I had 6 on in the 6 shows before the election, and they are usually reprinted in newspapers and websites far and wide. This has given me a feeling of participating and - though I've had that before - it was usually followed by deep disappointment after the last few elections. Speaking of disappointment, I was also canned by the Portland Tribune for writing columns questioning Iraq before the Invasion. At the time, it really hurt, but now it just makes me proud.

By the way, I never had an agenda in comedy until President Bush came along. He turned me and millions of other people into accidental activists - bloggers, e-mailers, debaters, prodders of all sorts. Ironically, President Bush - by being such a threat to our country - has made a lot of us better human beings. This morning I'm trying to be gracious in victory, but I'm not ready to thank him just yet.

If you're feeling spiteful and want to lash out at Republicans today, here's a way to handle it: Just think of all our people and everyone else who've been hurt or destroyed by the Iraq War. Last night was beautiful, but when things get this ugly, it's hard to bask in the joy. My sister used the word "relief" and that's what this is. Many people have paid a terrible price for the horrendous deeds of the Bush administration, but at least America appears as if it will continue. The ideas that made this country great, may survive these years after all. That is a huge relief and it makes the evening of 11-7-06 big history. That was a Night for the Ages.

4 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

My people tell me George has been drinking again for several years. The pretzel thing was him passing out drunk. But I get your point and may I say how nice of you to comment this morning. I was just listening to Bill O'Reiily's radio show...You know, I think I might listen to right wing talk radio all day long.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing. After the 2004 elections, I couldn't turn off Air America. Congratulations to you and the liberals on a well fought election.

Lucky for me the ONLY race I cared about was California Gubanator ;)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Bush is about to give a 'significant' speech in 10 minutes. Our workplace is opening up the boardroom and the giant TV screen so we can watch if we dare. I'm always a little anxious when George the W takes over the airwaves. Sort of like the way Woody Allen feels in 'Bananas' when the Revolutionary leader reveals he is a total nut case and declares that from now on everyone will wear their underwear on the outside of their clothing.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just well done Bill.

Thanks for putting into words what so many of us are feeling..................

Man that was close, but in the end America prevailed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home