Friday, January 27, 2006

Oprah In Apology Mode

First, this is great. I’ve grown so tired of these Oprah spectacular moments where some event or party is the most meaningful thing of her celebrity life.
It just never ends. There’s always some huge celebration with John Travolta and his wife usually there, where everyone sits around and feels the magnificence that is Oprah. Then afterwards they ask what the party meant to her and she goes overboard describing how intensely and spectacularly meaningful it all really was. Somewhere between the first course and the dancing afterwards she realized something about her life that she had never truly appreciated enough. Oh, she thought it was spectacular but somehow tonight she had grown as a person enough to see how much more amazing it had become.
This thing with the book was different. This was a screw-up where she basically came down on the wrong side of the truth issue.
Truth matters. For me it was always a sore point because I’d be visiting America for longer than usual - once while my Dad took a business seminar at Harvard - and I distinctly remember how mad I’d get when my temporary classmates didn’t believe that I was from Arabia – that I had been born there. God, that became annoying. Jokes about it? Fine. Where did you park your camel? No problem. But “You’re lying”? That pissed me off.
In fact with that start, I was sort of forced to try and continue the adventure. Some of us went out of our way to compile some pretty good anecdotes.
When people just make stuff up, it ruins everything. It destroys the whole purpose of life: To do amazing things and then share your experiences with everyone else. Above all it is so illogical and counterproductive. There’s so much information and tremendous data being generated on this planet, and you’re just going to fabricate your life's story? It’s pollution, plain and simple.
Here’s another little fact that I might explore later on this blog: I’ve hitchhiked over 25,000 miles around America. That’s true. So for Oprah to support this clown for lying was aggravating and I’m glad she got it together later. Even if it wasn’t one of her spectacular moments, it was definitely meaningful.

7 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger rickyragg said...

KILL YOUR TELEVISON!

See.

All your Oprah problems solved.

Now to get to work on the rest of the list.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

They can have my television when they pry my remote from my cold dead hand.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tuesday was her birthday. 55, perhaps. Today, Ed Schultz. 55, perhaps. Separated at birth?

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Idler said...

You were born in Arabia? Where?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I was born in Dhahran.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Idler said...

My brother was born in Aden. At that time it was a U.N. protectorate. My father was an officer in the British Army.

I'm guessing your dad worked either in the petroleum industry (or a related or ancillary industry) or was a diplomat or military officer himself.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

He worked for the oil company called Aramco in Government Relations so there were elements of diplomacy for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home