Monday, November 20, 2006

Kramer Versus Kramer

I've got some good news and some bad news. First the good news: FOX has canceled the OJ Simpson TV show for next week. Now the bad news:
They're replacing it with a Michael Richards special. If you haven't seen the Michael Richards video or the off-the-hook press conference with Paul Rodriguez and the owner of the Laugh Factory, I would skip it. You know how some racial incidents are good because they lead to a dialogue about our differences? This was not one of them. This was as ugly as it gets. I talked to my people in L.A., and they are scrambling to respond. It was so ugly that it calls for a statement, more than jokes. Jerry Seinfeld said he was just sick about it and I think that's how most comedians felt. At times like this, I point out that I am not a standup, I am a writer. I told my contact in L.A. "I'm sorry but you're on your own on this one." Of course, later I sent the joke that leads this off. Why? Because business is business. But I want to apologize to all Americans for what the comedians of America have come up with this weekend. As the offended man in the audience said, "It was uncalled for." I am disheartened and sickened by the ugliness of this event.

5 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will be interesting. Let's see how the media reacts to Richard's tyrade compared to how they did to Mel Gibson's. Both are equally disgusting and inflamatory, and both were followed by instant heart-felt apologies. The only difference between the two is that Gibson was a percieved conservative, and Richards...well...I don't know but all of his cast-mates from Seinfeld are confirmed liberals so I can only imagine he is in kind.

Brace yourselves for a massive outpouring of understanding and forgiveness from the Hollywood community. Any bets?

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I'll follow it but I don't think he comes back from this.
I think it's career-over time - such as it was.
They might forgive him but I don't think there will be any understanding. This was beyond ugly.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Kari Chisholm said...

And he wasn't even drunk. Or "drunk".

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Kari Chisholm said...

The only difference between the two is that Gibson was a percieved conservative

Of course, that's not true.

Gibson and his father are well-known Holocaust deniers. His father of the "academic" bent - and Gibson of the cinematic.

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, nice try Butch.

Let's see, an A-list film actor AND major Hollywoood producer versus a supporting TV actor whose career peaked some 10 years ago.

As disgusting as Richards comments are, his status makes this is a one-week story. Regardless, his entertainment career is over with all future income limited to those Seinfeld residual checks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home