Thursday, December 21, 2006

Guitar Song: Merry Christmas/Whatever from the Portland Freelancer

Okay, we're at that point when talk of war and corruption just seems overly harsh. So here's my version of "Oh Holy Night". I recorded it using 3 different tracks, on a custom electric guitar made by the fine folks at 12th Fret on Belmont in beautiful Portland, Oregon. It starts with an actual guitar trick - the bell sound at the beginning was made by hitting the strings with the volume down and then bringing it up.

As you'll read, there were some in my family who had difficulty locating the melody line. Whoops! It is a little buried and there's a long intro, so after the bent notes part, the melody comes in. It is a great song composition, the way it builds, etc...

Oh, what the hell. The emotion is accurate, and this is one of my better recordings. But then again you can't dance to it, so really, what's the point?

The point is to express a Merry Christmas or anything else you're celebrating and Best Wishes in 2007.
Merry Christmas from the Portland Freelancer - Google Video

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Merry Christmas Bill.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

You too, Butch. Thanks for joining in this year.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I regret the comments about my family being stupid, so I did the graphics again. It was one of those things that seemed funny - but it really wasn't. A funnier version is above.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
Am just now getting around to reading some of your past posts after linking to you just the other day. The more I read, the more there is to like.
That guitar piece is just beautiful....even if I didn't know it was Oh Holy Night!!!! I guess I am like your family and may be musically challanged...but...I know what I 'like' when I hear it..and I 'liked' the piece!!!
Mam
Eugene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home