Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Adam Morrison Saying

Okay, I admit it. Part of this is just for laughs, but I think there should be a new saying in Portland: "None of this would have happened if we had drafted Adam Morrison." It covers every eventuality that could befall us in the next 15 years. I can see the T-shirts now. The beauty of the saying is that even if great things happen - if the Blazers go on to win a championship - it still works. It's completely flexible. So that's my new response to every civic turn in the Rose City: "None of this would have happened if we had drafted Adam Morrison." Of course, I see what took place as a tragic mistake. I was repulsed by the outpouring of love for Blazers' management and how they handled the draft. Getting Brandon Roy was brilliant. Passing on Adam Morrison was a disaster. The fact that they could have had both is always going to bother me, as much as I let the Blazers bother me anymore. Adam Morrison would have been a terrific story for this town. In a game that involves scoring, he can score. His attitude is extremely feisty. This would have been a great deal of fun and could have marked a turnaround back to the glory days. My old bandmate Charlie played the national anthem at some of Adam Morrison's games at Gonzaga. It would have been nice having this to chat about going forward. You know what would have been really cool? Charlie playing the national anthem at a Blazers game. That probably won't happen now. Oh well. None of this is to disparage the young man the Blazers picked: LaMarcus Aldridge. I wish him all the best with his shoulder surgery this week. He also had surgery on his hip in college, ending one season, but I'm not pulling for him to fail. In fact if he does great and goes on to be Rookie of the Year, I'll be the first to say it: None of this would have happened if we had drafted Adam Morrison. So good luck with the surgery, LaMarcus!
Blazers' Aldridge faces surgery

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home