Saturday, August 19, 2006

Living in 4/4 Time


I'm going to set aside the cares of the world today and head to Seattle and play music. I could spend August 19th, 2006 worrying about so many things, but I'm going to kiss that all off now. Who knows how many times I have left getting all this gear together for a musical gig? There has to be an end to it. I can feel my arms getting older. It will probably go out in a slow fade but who knows? I remember how much I used to jump around as a kid. I enjoyed jumping over things. I had some hops. Then one day I just stopped jumping up and down. It wasn't a self-imposed decision. These things appear obvious and you don't even mull them over. One day that will probably happen in the music business. There will be no point in seeking out the high, because the high will be faded - if not gone. Certainly the hassle-pleasure ratio is changing even now. There's a day I suppose, as you get older, when you stop being thrilled by anything. But that's for another time. Right now it's 4:30 am. I woke up before the alarm. Why? Because on some level, in some distant recess of my mind, I guess I'm still a little bit thrilled - but not much. Just enough. Soon I will start packing the stuff in the car, and head over to the bass player's house. We will drive to Seattle and get there around 9:30am , hopefully. We will play the main stage at 11 and then roam around till 5 in the afternoon. We will play another stage at that time and then we will drive home, if all goes according to plan. Someday these plans will not be made. Someday I will put these suitcases and bags and musical cases away. Maybe keep one guitar on a stand by the wall. But that day is not here yet. So I will muster what fire I have left, and I will try to go to Seattle, and when the first tune is counted off, I will do my best to kick ass. Who knows? I might even jump just a little off the ground.

3 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Blogger crowbarred said...

Good stuff..i like it

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill: Were you in the Fresh Pot yesterday morning? You look like the guy who was telling Lisa that you were making a day trip to Seattle...

Great post here! I'm an aspiring but procrastinating guitar student. Reading your post makes me want to get going with it. I hope you're kicking ass in Seattle -- and maybe even jumping around a little on stage!

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

That was me. You know Lisa goes out on national tours, right? So I tell her about my gigs to amuse her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home