Sunday, August 06, 2006

Are You Ready for Some Football?

Okay, it's time to bring back the greatest sport ever invented. You can take your little World Cup head-butts and go back to Europe. Our guys head-butt each other as a way to say, "Hello. I'm glad you're on my team." You can take your little Tour de France testosterone levels, and get on your bike, and pedal home to Mommy. Our guys piss pure testosterone. Foks, we've never needed football more than this season. Our long national nightmare is over. The game is back, and not only that but my team, the Philadelphia Eagles, is playing da Raidaz tonight at 5. "But, Bill, it's only pre-season." I'd rather watch the first quarter of a pre-season game than an entire pennant-race baseball game. There is more sports joy in one play than in an entire tennis match. So put your little white shorts on and go hit your balls around at some fancy country club. It's time for the NFL.

6 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boooya! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been waiting for this for 6 months. Go Steelers!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God.....the first sign of sanity I've seen from you in awhile, Bill :)

GO BEAVS!!!! GO PACKERS!!! (in that order)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Brett Favre said this is the most talented Packer team he's even been on. I don't know about that, but you have to admire the optimism.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Football combines the sophiticated calculus of the forward pass, with the primitive territorial instincts of the ground game. It is a tremendous release. If the Middle East had the NFL there would be less violence there.
That's an idea for a new movement: Peace Through Football!
I'm an all around sports fan, so I'm not being totally dismissive of the other ones. I just love football more.

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

quidproquo:

Like any sport, you need to watch it and learn it in order to appreciate it. You comment that football is just brute force is so far from reality.

Think of football this way: It is a chess match being played in real time by strong, briliant, and skillful men. On every play, every move of the the 22 players on the field is mapped out before the ball is ever hiked - every step they take. But once the ball is hikes, split decisions are made individually by the players and adjustments are made on the fly. Football isn't just a sport. Its is game elevated to an artform.

I love basketball, and after the Beaver's run, have appreciated baseball more, but nothing - NOTHING - comes close to football.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the game, and I get excited every time I see a commercial for it. The downside is that it always signals the end of summer, which is discouraging.

Go Ducks, go Seahawks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home