Thursday, August 17, 2006

Trying to Make It Real Compared to What

I know the moment when I started cracking up, and - if there's confusion by that - I think I mean when I started laughing. I was watching cable news going from Iraq to Murtha to the President and Cheney and this incredibly creepy guy who claims to be involved with the Ramsey case. Seriously, who wears pants like that? I mean I'm no fashion expert, but for the love of God. Is that from the Pee Wee Herman Collection? Anyway I happened to see a headline on Drudge that read, "MONKS BRAWL AT PEACE PROTEST..." and that's when I lost it. I've been chuckling ever since but it's a crazy kind of laugh. If you looked at the news right now, could you prove humans aren't insane? I know, "Insane compared to what?" And I'm just another lunatic because I'm trying to make sense out of it all. For starters, I have no belief in the reality of anything on the news anymore. I have serious doubts the latest air terrorism incident was real. I strongly suspect the official story of 9/11 is a fake. This guy from Thailand is just the latest nut-case in a world gone mad. Was he there in Colorado? How about his ex-wife's comment that he was with her? And how seriously can you take her if she married him? The sad part was that hearing him talk about the case seemed no more crazy to me than hearing Cheney talk about Iraq. Cheney and Bush are living in their own wacky bubble - they've turned the White House into the Nut House. I thought back to an old jazz song performed by Les McCann and Eddie Harris called "Compared to What":
"The President, he's got his war
Folks don't know just what it's for
Nobody gives us rhyme or reason
Have (a) one doubt, they call it treason
We chicken feathers all without one nut
Goddamn it!
Tryin' to make it real, compared to what"

That's the perfect description of how it feels today to follow the news. What's real and what isn't? My guess: None of it's real. The story from our government is as wacky as the guy in the weird pants. We've been spinning on the edge of the abyss for too long, and we might be falling in. It's all starting to be part of that One Big Joke to me now.

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another add?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home