Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Comedy in the New Year: Finding the Right Distance from the Herd

Vacation is over and I'm back on the comedy trail: Saddam was a classic case of zig and zag. Everyone out there is going to write plays on the word "hang" - including me on one post - so skip that if you want to write a professional joke, and get to another word. Hmm, he dropped through the trapdoor, so what else dropped? The ball on New Year's at Time Square. That's why I just sent one comparing the two. That's how it's done, folks: Avoid the obvious, steer clear of the herd.

Who am I kidding lecturing anyone on comedy? Last year was not a huge year for me. Frankly, I know the blog interfered some mornings. I would get wrapped up in a post or replying to a comment and then rush the jokes. Wait, I always rush the jokes, but this was ridiculous and it showed. So I resolve to try harder this year, and get my priorities a little more together.

I also resolve to write more tawdry material about the hopeless party animals who currently dominate our celebrity-worshipping society. Why? Because the jokes sell. I will continue to vent about political stuff, but let's face it, being classy does not pay the bills.

For example, my last joke that sold in 2006 was about the Trump/Rosie feud. I said it was the first time she ever gave a man a tongue lashing. That's the level of class I'm aiming for in the New Year. Why try to prop up our doomed culture now? Especially when there's a buck to be made on our final plunge.

I'm only half kidding, but this Britney/Paris/Lindsey nightclub thing has never been worse. Why should we even care about Britney Spears? Yet, she's generating around one big news story a day.
Yes, I do mean news story.

I've tried to elevate the debate in this country somewhat but that's over now. I'll still have some of those but I'm going back to mindless decadence. Sometimes you have to follow the herd a little, too.

4 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,
I'm a director who is looking for comedic writers to help with an adult-oriented animated show. Your blog is great - email me if you want to hear more about the project.
Best wishes in the new year,
Matt Clark

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Finally someone who gets it about this blog: It's an application form waiting to happen.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does that mean you're not going to email me?

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

I just emailed you. Your link wouldn't go through on my server and I began to think it was one of those spam ads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home