Friday, March 16, 2007

Lisa Molinaro: Looking Good on 39th


If you thought Portland's Hip Quotient was soaring today, I've got the reason why. All right, the Spring-like weather didn't hurt, but I can also report that the Coolest Woman in Portland is once more back with us. I was driving to edit my cable access show, "Born to Slack" when Lisa Molinaro drove by on her bicycle giving me a nice smile and wave. She looked lovely as always - apparently touring with the Decemberists agrees with her. I am so proud of this person, and it was great to see an actual working musician kicking back and enjoying the sunny weather on a well-deserved break.

I was in a hurry or I would have pulled over to chat. See, my cable access show just hit its 150th episode and this is no time to stop the momentum. (Just play along.) Seriously, there is an Emmy on the line here.

Afterwards, I went by the Zupan's on Belmont and the cashier buddy said she had seen Sam Elliot in the store. I had to confess I wasn't sure of who he was, but I looked him up later and he played Cher's biker boyfriend in "The Mask". Temporarily seeming out of it in front of the Zupan cashier, I immediately went with my Decemberist sighting, and came off as slightly less clueless than usual.

I love this city. Yes, there is some bad stuff that happens here. I was at the light right outside the store where the guy had been shot in the robbery. The store is painted in a fun Portland mural type way. What did it say, "From Apples to...." some kind of wine. The painting seemed to be more true to what this town is about than the horrible crime that happened inside. On days like today it's so obvious that Portland rules. Plus, it just got a lot cooler now that Lisa's here again, a touring musician with a national act, back in the neighborhood riding around on her bicycle and looking beautiful.

4 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Apples to Zinfandel. That weird mural has been advertising that store since I moved in to S.E. Portland back in 1978. Also Sam Elliot played The Marlboro Man in the movie 'Thank you for Smoking'.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Thanks. That's the kind of support this blog needs.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God Bill, that is embarrassing. You had to research that Sam Elliot was Cher's boyfriend in The Mask? A real man and fan of great cinema would have instantly recognized him as Patrick Swayze's mentor in Road House. How the Oscar blew by him in that one I'll never know....

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam's performance in Road House ranks with the greats. A classic "I'm getting too old for this ****" buddy role. You can insert that line in all the classic buddy films. Great story about seeing Lisa M. on her bike...That's what I love about this town too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home