Monday, January 16, 2006

THE ENVELOPE PLEASE

May I begin with a crude joke? "Brokeback Mountain" introduced a new concept in Hollywood last night: The Sore Winner.
Moving on, here's my post about the Golden Globes:
Several years ago I was invited by my producer connection to the Producer’s Guild Awards. It looked very much like the Golden Globes last night in that it was a dinner and the ballroom was tiered down to the stage. My producer’s wife was the chair of the event, and a vice president for one of the major studios, and afterwards we stayed up till the wee hours talking about my script. I should probably parcel out the events of that experience because it remains my one and only Hollywood story. The most notable people that I actually shook hands with and chatted with were Anjelica Houston, Tom Hanks, George Lucas, Adrien Brodie, Robert Wagner and Diane Lane. The best anecdote was telling Tom Hanks, “You’d make me a hero to my wife if you’d just say hello.” He said, “Where is she sitting?” completely nice about it like I meant to drag him over to my table. I said, “She’s not here. She’s in Portland, Oregon.” He got it, and suddenly was very earnest. He pointed at me and said very seriously, “You tell your wife I said hello.” Much later I excused myself from the meeting back at the producer’s house and took out a cellphone and called Portland. I told my wife that Tom Hanks had said hello to her, and for months, everytime he appeared on TV, I’d say, “Did I ever tell you about the time Tom Hanks said hello to you?” She’d glow and I was right. Tom Hanks had made me a hero to my wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home