Friday, January 13, 2006

OVER IT? I'M PROUD OF IT!

Some comments on another site, suggest I'm not over being fired as a columnist for the Portland Tribune. Here's the deal: Yes, I was hurt by getting canned, but I would have felt worse if I hadn’t weighed in on the Iraq War. As it was, with newspapers all over America abdicating their responsibility to cover the story, the Portland Tribune had two columns that questioned the wisdom of this effort, and reminded the reader of the horror we were about to enter. That, ironically, means the Trib was one of the only newspapers in America doing the job before the war started. The New York Times certainly wasn’t, and they had to apologize later, as did numerous newspapers who bought the official story without a sound. Remember how it was back then? Everybody was afraid to question the war machine. Reporters either went along or they were unpatriotic. That was the White House marketing offensive and it worked.
Don't get me wrong about writing those two anti-war columns: I was hoping to get away with it, but they were published around a month before the invasion started, and I was told this was why I got yanked. If the Trib fired me for doing that, so be it. Over it? I’m proud of it. Compared to the Iraq War, the aerial tram’s a brilliant idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home