Sunday, February 12, 2006

Cheney Finally Delivers Monica Moment

This is how it felt during the Monica scandal. And both had a senior White House official shooting something off aimed all wrong. One hit a blue dress, the other hit a lawyer. I knew every day I would be writing Monica jokes and this Dick Cheney thing is that good. Everybody is a comedy writer after something like this, and it’s a good chance to see if you’ve got what it takes to tangle with the pros. Can you imagine all the comedy writers getting set for tomorrow night? This is the Winter Olympics of joke writing. Jon Stewart’s team, Letterman’s, Conan’s, and Leno’s. Oh yes, tomorrow morning I’ll be banging out my fair share of Cheney jokes for Leno and this thing could really have legs. Damn it, this is when the radio gig gets hurt by not having a Sunday night update. I write for over 140 stations and they’ll need comedy on this in a hurry tomorrow. Oh, well. I’ll try to land some tomorrow night on Leno. Monica jokes got pretty crude as the weeks went on. I remember she showed up with metal on her teeth at one point and I wrote that it was chrome from a trailer hitch. I asked Leno’s assistant if it was mine and she said sarcastically, “Yes. Be proud, be very proud.”
There are two times when the pros are supposed to have an edge: When it’s a really dull subject like the Federal Reserve, and a really easy one like this. Somewhere out there across this land a joke writer will deliver the best joke in America on this subject. I sure hope it’s me.

6 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jack Bog said...

Amateur hour has already begun over here.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Thanks Jack, I just left a comment over there. I now must get in the sensory deprivation tank and begin 12 hours of chanting. Tonight I must pray to the Gods of Comedy.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger LaurelhurstDad said...

All you professional joke writers are missing the 'true' fact.

Dick Chaney is just a really, really, mean guy.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Dear Laurel,
Thanks, that explains a lot. Here I've been thinking he was just a misunderstood sweetheart disguised as one of the biggest bastards whoever walked the earth. Now I'll know better.

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I have to do this.
First, you're supposed to aim your shotgun in the air - or you'll shoot your dog. Hey, I like the idea of a billionaire sending his lawyer out there to flush quail.

When I was in junior high school, my father made me take a hunter safety course. I never hunted, but I paid attention. You're supposed to walk side by side, and only aim your gun forward. The white house press report mentioned that his buddy was behind him, and that he was just "in the line of fire". Another rule is not to go hunting with an idiot, because he might shoot you.

The press report also said that the pellets "broke the skin". I guess that's why he was in ICU. He was in "stable condition". Would he have been safer in Guantanamo?

I thought it might have been interesting if W had been hunting with the Dick. Of course, we have seen that there is no law against shooting the president in Texas. Even if there was, I think the Supreme Court could arrange for a magic pellet theory or something. Gerald Ford is still around and he could help with this.

In most states, there are laws against shooting people accidentally. Do you suppose Dick will face any prosecution?

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger LaurelhurstDad said...

Don't forget the Daily Show's clip of the woman who owned the ranch. She said that Cheney stepped out of his car and shot. How nice to be able to drive up to your tame bird before having to muddy you feed while killing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home