Saturday, February 11, 2006

Ex-Bandmate Still In The Game

Every musician has that one band that he or she puts everything into - the band that takes you ten years to get over when it blows apart. After the debris drifts back to earth, everyone sets out to make the most of what’s left. I still play in groups. Charlie still has a group. Frank? Well, Frank disappeared after he did prison time for drug-related offences. He had all the talent anyone could ever ask for, plus he was brilliant, but that didn’t stop him from trying to insert Bolivia into his nose. I have seen the finest musicians of my generation destroyed by madness. That's my Howl impression, for you poetry majors. Oh well.
As sad as that still makes me, I’m happy to say that Charlie continues to be a great friend. Tonight he’s playing the National Anthem on his sax before the Stanford-Gonzaga game with Dick Vitale in the house. That’s quite a task: Go out and face thousands of people with just your saxophone but he’s done it for years prior to hockey, baseball, and basketball games. Hit a high note for the old group, Charles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home