Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Thanks for the Support - 20,000 Hits On

The Portland Freelancer reached 20,000 hits today which is quite a milestone. I'll be the first to admit I haven't found the mother groove yet but I'm a firm believer in doing things until the reason why becomes clear. I know that I always have to go through a lot of changes before I feel comfortable enough to present something real. There have been times when I felt in the zone but not all that many. Bear with me, and perhaps I will attain blog greatness yet. I marvel at the way Jack Bogdanski does his blog. After a while there's this spirit that drifts forward and I know from music and writing columns that this does not come easily. My 3 main inspirations were Jack, the One True b!X, and the original Portland Media Insider. That's what got me into it. Of course it's ridiculous that I write all this comedy for my clients but I rarely mine it for the blog. I did a little of that, but I can't send them stuff and then give it away here. If I think of this in professional terms, it doesn't really compare to writing for 140 radio stations or the Tonight Show. But when I think of musical gigs, I've played for a hell of a lot less people and it was as intense as it could possibly be. This is more like that. The blog experience means a lot to me right now. After writing for the Portland Tribune, it's a blast just to write on any topic I want. And I don't mean that as a knock on them - it's just business realities. You find yourself comparing Ross Island to Bermuda. Of course, there have been a few days when doing this - despite the freedom - was an absolute pain, and a few days where it was a great feeling. Mostly, it falls into the realm of a commitment, and I promise to try and get better at it. You know this is the second time I've changed one letter in a word for something new. Waiter - Change the A to an R - Writer. And next change the N to and L and move it around for 20,000 hits - Bong to Blog. Okay, see, there's an example of what I'm talking about. I'm still not quite tapped into the mother groove. But bear with me. I have not yet begun to blog.

5 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger Jack Bog said...

Bill, solely because of your blog, I now find myself watching the Leno monologue instead of the Letterman. And believe me, that was moving a mountain. Immediately after the last possible McDonald joke, however, I switch to Dave.

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Ruben Bailey said...

Keep on keepin' on.

An established multi-national superstar like yourself doesn't need any glad handing from this hack of a so-called writer, but you are doing good work with the bong, errrrr blog.

I come here everyday to see what your head decided to pass down to your hands. Always fun to visit and read.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Bill McDonald said...

Thanks, everyone. i bow to your greatness.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog--I hit it a few times a week.

By the way, any chance you can offer BitTorrents of Born to Slack here?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger LaurelhurstDad said...

Are you responsible for Leno's joke where, at Ken Lay's funeral, no one said 'We are richer for having known him'?

That was a laugh out loud joke. If you wrote it, thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home